Friday, August 17, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I've been reading the The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  I read a chapter last night that was about consciously making more time in her schedule for fun.  That's right.  Fun!  Pure, wholesome, self-fulfilling, enjoyment.  That got me thinking...what do I do for fun?  Or even a better question....what do I consider 'fun'? 

If I was to answer quickly, I'd say, "I have fun all the time.  My calendar is full of events and things to do with my friends."  But busy doesn't necessarily mean 'fun'.  Do I enjoy having a busy a schedule?  Sometimes.  But sometimes I appreciate not having anything on my schedule so I can do...nothing!

So pondering this 'fun' topic, I realized I'm not sure I know what I enjoy doing.  I'll try just about anything... kayaking, fishing, rappelling, rock climbing, and heck I've even tried shooting guns,  but as adventurous as those things are, and I do believe that I like them, they are not necessarily the thing I want to pick up doing when I want to have a few moments to myself.  I think I'd be more honest with myself to say I like the idea that I DO those things, not necessarily because they are all fun for me to do. 

I want to like reading a whole lot more than I do, and I wish I liked running a lot more than I do.  But I just don't.  But, I love crossfit.  I don't always have the motivation to get up and do a workout, but when I actually do it, the duration I enjoy, as well as the fulfillment I get after completing a workout.  I also enjoy finding nutritious recipes that I can "paleo-fy".  Yes, I may have just made that word up, but seriously, I can spend hours on Pinterest looking up recipes and altering them to be more paleo.  So the hunt of finding recipes is fun, but I'd much rather be in a fully stocked kitchen (because I don't enjoy grocery shopping) to create the paleo'fy'd dishes.  To top off all that fun, I want to share this new meal with all my girlfriends' for a girls night with a bottle of wine and giggles!  Now that to me is fun!  What do you do for fun?




No comments: