Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sisters


When I was growing up, my sister and I shared alot.  We shared the basics like a room, the same parents, and an older brother who liked to put his GI Joe's in our Barbie house, and pin us down and make ourselves slap ourselves while saying "why are you hitting yourself?" until we were laughing so hard that we might have peed our pants.  Katy and I loved the same movies, the same games, the same friends and we even tried to share the same clothes which usually ended up in arguements!  Sometimes it was a battle to find our own individuality because what she did, I wanted to do, because,  well...she was my big sister.  I think that's maybe why my Mom started to dress us in certain colors to help with that individuality crisis.  Katy wore red, and I wore blue.  Like, here....in this picture below:

I still remember a pair of blue sneakers with flowers on them that were mine.  Man I wish I had a picture of those.  But I remember Katy had the same pair but in RED, of course. 

Even though we don't live close anymore, our shared memories always bring us back together to keep us close.  We can still giggle over the phone about songs we used to sing, silly things we did such as our own version of what we thought Happy hour meant - Our "Happy Hour" consisted of sitting after dinner in front of a mirror and making faces at each other til the other one laughed!  We used to ride our bikes up to the porch stairs and pretend we were going to the drive in bank with our baby dolls safely in tow in our bike baskets.  We had great imaginations! 

Something I'd like to share is the surprise my sister gave me at my wedding.  She had Jarrod from Metro DC DJ's, play a song we grew up singing to and watching every year around the holidays from the movie "White Christmas".  The Sisters' song.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can watch it here  White Christmas's - Sisters' Act

Not only did we re-enact the whole skit at my wedding, we sang along with it too.  We put on a show, and it was so much fun!!

Thanks Katy, for another special memory for us to giggle about! Thanks for always being there for me.


No comments: