Monday, April 11, 2011

It Hurts So Good

Hello folks!  It's been a bit since my last post and I honestly really don't have an excuse.  But I can think of a few that might get me out of trouble.  For instance, I had a hard time walking both up and down stairs.  I blame my new kicks. 

But my new kicks are apparently the next best thing to being barefoot.  With crossfit, we learn alot about mobility, balance and strength, and the key areas with the Merrell Barefoot is balance and strength.  Check them out for yourself here:  Merrell Blog  They are very similar to the Vibram FiveFingers that I find very much entertainment to look at, but not yet eager to wear. You can check them out here:  Vibram FiveFingers  See why I am not so eager to wear them?

Anyway...a regular sneaker gives your foot and legs comfort & support.  Whereas the Merrell Barefoot in my opinion, allows you to use your own ability and actual balance or lack thereof, and strength, or lack thereof.  To my surprise...I lack in both.
Thank you Joaquin, for that vote.  In my crazy head, I have compared my new kicks to that of what Roman Gladiators wore.  Practically nothin', almost barefoot, but yet they were the fittest and strongest "soles" around!  ;)

So just let me tell you, the first workout I did in my new kicks, just happened to include things like running, squatting and lunges.  As soon as I took off running in my Barefoots, it seriously reminded me of when I was a kid and went barefoot all summer long to the point where my soles were black and green from pavement and grass stain.  They gave me a light weight, tippy-toe kinda run.  Almost a ballet run if you will and I was super SLOW.  Go ahead and try running barefoot, you'll see what I'm talking about.  Long story short, for the next two days, I could barely walk down stairs without doing the toddler side step, one foot per stair - maneuver.  My calves were so tight, I couldn't believe it.  As much laughing and pointing I received from people at work especially, I could proudly say, it hurts soooo good!  John Mellencamp knows what I'm talkin about!  ;)

No comments: